About NAPA, Mission and Objectives
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF NAPA
National Agency of Protected Areas, that is founded by the Council of Ministers, Decision No. 102, date 04.02.2015, aimed management, protection, development, expansion and operation of the protected areas in our country, which today account for about 16% of the territory of Albania. NAPA manages the network of protected areas and other natural networks as Natura2000 under management plans. NAPA monitors flora and fauna in these areas. National Agency of Protected Areas has a staff of 224 people, of which 20 in the central office and 204 in the Regional Administration of Protected Areas.
Manages the network of protected areas.
Designs and implements the management plans for protected areas.
Proposes changes and improvements to the legal framework for management of the PA.
NAPA manages the network of protected areas and other natural networks as Natura2000 under management plans. NAPA monitors and inventory the flora and fauna in these areas, as well as a very important aspect is to generate income from services to others .
The main objectives of the program are:
- For the next two years, the system of protected areas to be managed and administered by the staff of NAPA and the Administration of PA( AdZM ) ;
- To establish a financial management system of protected areas, including the approval of a special fund for them, with the contribution of income from areas , donors and the budget of the institution;
- Evaluating the surface of the protected areas in the country, adding and reappraise the existing surfaces ;
- Increasing the capacity of areas management staff by introducing new elements related to communication, education and collaboration with other stakeholders in the area .
Objectives of the program for the period of 4 years ( 2015-2019 ) will have three main pillars where will be focused in order to implement and monitor its progress.
- Administration of Protected Areas
This will be the main and most important pillar, it will be the indicator of NAPA. In this context, the first step relates to staff who will work in this institution , as in the middle and in the districts , but the success of the work will be linked with their presence in the protected area where will also be the offices. Without an dedicated administration, trained and motivated employees, it will be difficult to measure the NAPA and Administration performance and perhaps in the coming decades the Albania's natural heritage risks being destroyed. This provides the drafting of a new law for PA-s and completion of the legislative package , which will guarantee the strengthening and implementation of legality by the staff of " Rangers States " ( environmental officers ).
- Review of the financial mechanism
To work properly the staff needs to be supported with adequate financial resources and necessary infrastructure. This will begin with an inventory of infrastructure assets ( buildings , investments made, tools, equipment, etc.), increasing contacts and request for financial support from donor projects by increase the effectiveness of projects, etc. Finally it will be aimed to establish a special fund for Protected Areas as a good opportunity to increase support for their proper management.
- Communication and awareness strategy
Like any new venture needs a strong communication with the population, to make as much part of a new concept with the motto " Let's visit a park, not eat lunch in a beautiful area. " The process will be enriched with educational elements by increasing the function and impact of protected areas; It will operate a new web site of PA with new elements and will have a presence in socile networks. They will be used for holidays and local opportunities and to promote the value of public participation, but also collaboration with the school system in the districts.
Vulnerabilities, weaknesses, opportunities of reform, problems and solutions have long been discussed with representatives of the Ministry of Environment, with the domestic and foreign several leading organizations International (WWF, IUCN, GIZ, KfW, etc.), mainly this year 2014. All parties have agreed that the process of restructuring, upgrading, strengthening and implementation of an effective administration of the protected areas in Albania requires active involvement in order really to numerous interested parties, administrations, institutions, NGO-s and the public. This will be the philosophy of work in the future.
NAPA main focus is the preservation and development of protected areas and nature in Albania.
1. NAPA will cover the whole territory of the Republic of Albania, according to the network of protected areas approved and those contemplated in the future.
2. NAPA and RAPA have duties and responsibilities imposed by environmental legislation and the ministry responsible for protected areas, but the most important are:
a) Manage the network of protected areas and habitats under national laws and international conventions and agreements, through:
· support of the ministry responsible for protected areas for development and implementation of policies, strategies and programs of the government in the field of protected areas and conservation of nature;
· designing and implementing management plans for protected areas;
· designing and implementing action plans for habitats and species of conservation interest;
· oversight of activities in protected areas and ensuring their compliance in accordance with the requirements of this law and other legal acts and regulations;
· proposal of changes and improvements of the legal framework to integrate management of network of protected areas;
· determining the internal rules of action for protected areas administrations;
· monitoring with precision the implementation of instruments for territorial development planning, adopted by central and local authorities in protected areas;
· control activities that use natural resources inside the network of protected areas;
· cooperation with the relevant authorities for the implementation of international activities relating to the conservation, development and monitoring of the network of protected areas.
b) Promote and support the collection and dissemination of information, environmental education and public awareness for protected areas, through:
· creating and updating the database of protected areas and ecological network of the country;
· coordination of work for the development of programs and the establishment of a network of biodiversity monitoring and network of protected areas together with structures of the Ministry of Environment;
· gathering information and carrying out the monitoring in protected areas on the state of biodiversity, habitats, populations of wild flora and fauna and natural ecosystems, in cooperation with specialized institutions;
· promoting the values of protected areas and management of the reception and visitor information centers;
· creating and maintaining information services for visitors in protected areas;
· contribution to information and consultation of public during the development and implementation of policies and strategies related to the integrated management of the network of protected areas and biodiversity.
c) Support development of sustainable economic activities within protected areas, through:
· promoting the active participation of stakeholders in the management of protected areas;
· control the implementation of regulations and criteria for sustainable use of natural resources in protected areas;
· monitoring of legal requirements for carrying out economic activities that take place within the territory of protected areas;
· notification of the competent state bodies in cases when are noticed administrative violation of the law, proposed the relevant authorities to take measures against those responsible, according to the legislation;
· management of state and public real estate, which are passed on management responsibility, in accordance with the rules specified by national legislation in force.