Financial Short Term Expert/TERMS OF REFERENCE
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Financial Short Term Expert
Project Title: PONT RAPA Grant
Project: 27 August 2018 P_003_PA
Budget code: Activity 1.1
Task of Expert: Assessment of costs of activities of RAPA’S annual workplan 2019 for Prespa National Park
Timeframe: Tentatively November 26- December 10, 2018
Input: 10 working days
Type of contract: Short term expert
Duty station: Korca, RAPA’s office and Gorice e Vogel (PNP Office)
Reports to: Director of RAPA
PONT is a transboundary conservation trust fund. As a trust fund, PONT’s approach to conservation differs from the standard “project based” or “short-term” solutions. PONT’s funding is long-term and designed to ensure the sustainable management of the Prespa Ohrid ecoregion. Our model emphasizes long-term commitment, transparency, accountability and collaboration.
The planning grant is the first step in PONT`s support to NAPA for the benefit of RAPA and the Prespa region. It aims to develop a detailed and realistic operational plan for 2019 and a full grant proposal to PONT for its implementation. It will take into consideration the contribution from the second phase of the project “Transboundary Biosphere Reserve Ohrid-Prespa (PRESPA-Albania)”, financed by KfW and implemented by a GFA led consortium.
The National Agency of Protected Areas (NAPA). NAPA has the responsibility of steering the grant as well as its progress reports.
National Agency of Protected Areas, created by the Council of Ministers decision. No. 102, dated 04.02.2015, aimed management, protection, development, expansion and operation of the surfaces of protected areas in our country, which today account for about 16% of the territory of Albania. NAPA manages the network of protected areas and other natural networks as Natura2000 under management plans drawn up. NAPA monitors and inventory of flora and fauna in these areas, as well as a very important aspect is to generate income from services to others.
Under the auspices of NAPA exist 12 Regional Agencies for Protected Areas with a total of 204 staff. They are responsible for protected area management on the ground.
The Regional Agency for Protected Areas (RAPA) in Korca, has 27 staff and for the planning grant the responsibility of planning and leading the implementation of grant measures at local level as well as establishing links with local stakeholders.
- Overall Objective of the job:
Under the supervision of the Director of RAPA, the expert will provide support for the following activity areas of the RAPA:
- Make a detailed estimation on the costs of the annual work plan of RAPA for PNP, including the eligible co-financing by the Government of Albania concerning the management of Prespa NP, following PONT’s criteria.
In particular, the responsibilities of the Expert comprise, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Specific tasks:
- Review the PONT Grant Manual to understand the requirements for PONT co-financing;
- Prepare a report on costs concerning the management of Prespa NP covered by the Government of Albania through NAPA/RAPA budget for the period 2016-2018;
- Describe in detail the activities to be included in the annual plan of 2019 and estimations of the related costs, with the exception of those related to natural resource management and maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail, in close collaboration with with RAPA Director and key RAPA specialists based on the annual plan of 2019 prepared By RAPA in November 2018;
- Make initial cost estimations for the activities to be included in the 2019 Operational Plan, following the cost categories defined in the PONT Grant manual (Consultants; Consumables, operating and others cost; staff costs; Travel; Meeting, training, equipment), with the exception of those related to natural resource management and maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail;
- Consolidate the draft 2019 Operational Plan budget, including the activities related to natural resource management and maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail, and discuss the feasibility of its implementation with the RAPA Director and specialists and in consultation with PONT and GFA;
- Present the final 2019 Operational Plan budget and the related budget following the input from the RAPA staff, PONT and GFA.
- Close coordination of activities with RAPA Korce
- Close coordination with two more experts (forestry and civil/ Construction engineers)
- Communication of work progress and consultations using all possible means (e-mail, phone, meetings)
- Reporting and tentative timing:
- 1. A detailed estimation of the costs concerning the management of Prespa NP covered by the Government of Albania through NAPA/RAPA budget – December 7, 2018;
- 2. A detailed description of activities to be included in the 2019 Operational Plan, taking into account the input from the experts on natural resource management and visitor infrastructure – December 7, 2018;
- 4. Draft cost estimations for all activities included in the annual plan 2019 – December 7, 2018
- 5. Final detailed descriptions and cost estimations of the activities included in the annual plan 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Expert Profile
- University diploma (degree in business administration, finance, economics or related fields is an asset)
- Excellent command of both English and Albanian languages (written and oral), Macedonian language is an asset
- Good knowledge of the legal and administrative framework of public finance management, ideally through work experience in a public institution in Albania
- Previous work experience in a similar position and/or previous experience in projects related to protected areas is an asset
- Previous work experience with an international organization is desirable but not a pre-requisite, experience with the German cooperation (GIZ/KfW) is an asset
- Strong computer (MS Office, internet) and typing skills
- Professional demeanour and appearance
- Highly organized and able to work result oriented