Construction Engineer Short Term Expert
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Construction Engineer Short Term Expert
Project Title: PONT RAPA Grant
Project: 27 August 2018 P_003_PA
Budget code: Activity 1.4
Task of Expert: Assessment of costs related to construction and to be financed by PONT in RAPA’s workplan for Prespa National Park 2019
Timeframe: Tentatively November 26- December 10, 2018
Input: 5 working days
Type of contract: Short term expert
Duty station: Korca, RAPA’s office and Gorice e Vogel (PNP Office)
Reports to: Director of RAPA
PONT is a transboundary conservation trust fund. As a trust fund, PONT’s approach to conservation differs from the standard “project based” or “short-term” solutions. PONT’s funding is long-term and designed to ensure the sustainable management of the Prespa Ohrid ecoregion. Our model emphasizes long-term commitment, transparency, accountability and collaboration.
The planning grant is the first step in PONT`s support to NAPA for the benefit of RAPA and the Prespa region. It aims to develop a detailed and realistic operational plan for 2019 and a full grant proposal to PONT for its implementation. It will take into consideration the contribution from the second phase of the project “Transboundary Biosphere Reserve Ohrid-Prespa (PRESPA-Albania)”, financed by KfW and implemented by a GFA led consortium.
The National Agency of Protected Areas (NAPA). NAPA has the responsibility of steering the grant as well as its progress reports.
National Agency of Protected Areas, created by the Council of Ministers decision. No. 102, dated 04.02.2015, aimed management, protection, development, expansion and operation of the surfaces of protected areas in our country, which today account for about 16% of the territory of Albania. NAPA manages the network of protected areas and other natural networks as Natura2000 under management plans drawn up. NAPA monitors and inventory of flora and fauna in these areas, as well as a very important aspect is to generate income from services to others.
Under the auspices of NAPA exist 12 Regional Agencies for Protected Areas with a total of 204 staff. They are responsible for protected area management on the ground.
The Regional Agency for Protected Areas (RAPA) in Korca, has 27 staff and for the planning grant the responsibility of planning and leading the implementation of grant measures at local level as well as establishing links with local stakeholders.
- Overall Objective of the job:
Under the supervision of the Director of RAPA, the expert will provide support for the following activity areas of the RAPA:
- Estimate the costs related to maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail in Prespa NP
In particular, the responsibilities of the Expert comprise, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Specific tasks:
- Describe in detail the activities to be included in the annual plan of 2019 concerning the maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail in Prespa NP, in close cooperation with RAPA Director and key RAPA specialists ;
- Make initial cost estimations for the activities to be included in the 2019 Operational Plan, concerning the maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail in Prespa NP following the cost categories defined in the PONT Grant manual (Consultants; Consumables, operating and others cost; staff costs; Travel; Meeting, training, equipment),
- Contribute to the finalization of the 2019 Operational Plan for Prespa NP with respect to maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail;
- Close coordination of activities with RAPA Korce
- Close coordination with two more experts (financial expert and forestry engineer)
- Communication of work progress and consultations using all possible means (e-mail, phone, meetings)
- Reporting and tentative timing:
- 2. A detailed description of activities concerning the maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail to be included in the 2019 Operational Plan – December 7, 2018;
- 3. Draft cost estimations of the activities related to maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail in the annual plan 2019 – December 7, 2018
- 3. Final detailed descriptions and cost estimations of the activities related to maintenance of current hiking trails and development of a biking trail in the annual plan 2019 - December 12 , 2018
- Expert Profile
- University diploma (degree in civil engineering or related field)
- License in construction field
- Minimum 10 years work experience in the construction sector in Albania
- Long term experience in construction works planning in the public sector of Albania
- Previous work experience in a similar position and/or previous experience in projects related to protected areas is an asset
- Previous work experience with an international organization is desirable but not a pre-requisite, experience with the German cooperation (GIZ/KfW) is an asset
- Excellent command of both English and Albanian languages (written and oral), Macedonian language is an asset
- Strong computer (MS Office, internet) and typing skills
- Professional demeanour and appearance
- Highly organized and able to work result oriented